Table of Contents
What is Blepharoplasty?
Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty offered by Dr. Micheal Williams, is a cosmetic procedure used to improve the appearance of the upper and lower eyelids. It is a way to treat excess skin and fat deposits around the eyes, giving a more youthful and energetic appearance to the face.
If your vision is obscured by excess skin and fat deposits, eyelid surgery can be performed for medical reasons and is often covered by insurance.
WHAT IS RHINOPLASTY?
Rhinoplasty, also called a nose job, nasal surgery, or nose surgery, is a type of facial plastic surgery performed to address cosmetic and/or functional issues. Cosmetic rhinoplasty addresses the aesthetic concerns of the nose. Functional rhinoplasty helps address breathing issues by fixing obstructions in the nasal passages.
Rhinoplasty is often performed together with other facial procedures for optimal facial proportions.
WHO IS NOT A CANDIDATE FOR NOSE SURGERY?
Patients with serious health conditions, such as diabetes, heart diseases, and high blood pressure, are not ideal candidates for rhinoplasty, since this can increase the risk of surgical complications. Patients with mental disorders are also not suitable for nose surgery.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR A RHINOPLASTY
Just like other surgical procedures, patients need to prepare for rhinoplasty. There are several things that patients should and should not do when preparing for nose surgery. These may vary from patient to patient.
- Make certain diet and lifestyle changes – If you often drink alcohol, you will need to avoid it in the days leading up to the surgery, since it may contribute to complications. In addition, you are encouraged to improve your diet by focusing on foods that are high in fiber; these foods effectively reduce constipation associated with anesthetics.
- Prepare your transportation – You can go home right after the surgery, but you will not be able to drive yourself home. It’s best to arrange in advance for someone to drive you home.
- Secure your schedule – If you are working or have a busy schedule, you need to clear your schedule for at least 10 days for the recovery period. This will allow you to heal properly and avoid affecting the incisions.
- Prepare your home for recovery – You want to be as comfortable as possible during the recovery period. You can prepare your home for recovery by gathering all essential items in advance.
- Hire some assistance – If you have children or pets to take care of, hire someone who can do these tasks for you while you are healing.
- Smoking – If you are smoking cigarettes, you need to stop doing it several weeks before your surgery. Smoking can delay your recovery period and may worsen the side effects of the nose surgery.
- Certain medications – Some medications may need to be stopped at least two weeks before surgery. These drugs include NSAIDs and vitamin E. Certain herbal supplements are also included.
- Makeup – Makeup can put you at risk of infection. Your face must be clean of all products on the day of your surgery.
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM EYELID SURGERY?
Ideal patients for eyelid surgery are healthy and wish to rejuvenate their appearance. Eyelid surgery can specifically treat:
- Bags under the eyes
- Drooping lower eyelids
- Loose or excess skin hanging down from the upper eyelids
- Obscured vision
- Puffiness around upper eyelids
- Crepe paper wrinkles around the lower eyelids
The procedure should result in smoother, more youthful skin contours around the eyes, presenting a more attractive and energetic appearance. Vision may be improved and your expressions may appear more positive.
Eyelid surgery may be combined with a number of other treatments for the best possible outcome. These treatments may include Botox injections, dermal filler injections, a face lift or brow lifts. Skin treatments such as chemical peels may also be used to treat dark circles under the eyes.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING YOUR EYELID SURGERY
General anesthetic or intravenous sedation are often used for eyelid surgery to ensure comfort. The upper eyelid incision is made with the natural lines of the skin, and extends from the interior corner to slightly beyond the outside corner. Excess fat and skin are removed through the incision and the skin is closed with fine sutures.
Lower eyelid procedures have incisions located either in the natural lines of the eyelid or on the inside of the eyelid itself. Incisions located within the eyelid do not produce any visible scarring, but may not be used to remove excess skin. Fat and skin are removed from within incisions, and a laser may be used to tighten and firm the skin beneath the eye. The incision is closed using very fine sutures for minimal scarring.
AFTER YOUR SURGERY
Following surgery, an ointment will be applied to the eyes, which may blur vision initially. Some swelling and bruising are likely, which will further puff the eyelids. Discomfort should be minimal. The first few days should be spent with the head elevated and cold compresses applied to the eyes. There may be a tight feeling around the eyes at first. This discomfort can be treated with over-the-counter medication.
Stitches are removed after the first week, and bruising should lessen in that time as well. Some swelling may persist for 1-3 weeks. Normal activities may be resumed in 7-10 days, though caution should be taken not to strain the eyes or do the heavy lifting. Concealing makeup may be applied at this time if desired.
UNDERSTANDING THE RISKS OF EYELID SURGERY
During your consultation, you will discuss your complete medical history, as well as the risks associated with eyelid surgery. Possible complications include bleeding, changes in sensitivity, infection, allergic reactions, scarring and asymmetry.
How Much Does Blepharoplasty Cost?
The cost of a Blepharoplasty will depend on several factors. The price can be affected by body type, type of technique performed, surgical complications, and even allergies. Find out more by scheduling a consultation.
Schedule a Consultation
Schedule your consultation for Blepharoplasty in Memphis– contact Dr. Williams and set up your appointment. During your appointment, you will be able to ask questions and bring up any concerns you may have about the procedure. Contact us today to get the look you’ve always wanted!
The eyelid lift, also called blepharoplasty, is a procedure that is performed to improve the appearance of the eyes. Our upper and lower eyelids are...
Fat Transfer Breast Enhancement is a cosmetic surgery procedure performed to enhance the size of the breasts using the patient's own fat rather than...
Liposuction is a popular body contouring procedure that has helped many men and women finally achieve the body they desire. The body sculpting...